Sunday, January 10, 2010

You might laugh, you might frown. Walkin' round London town.

DAY 4 - London

First thing this morning we bought tickets to the Big Bus Company's tour around London. We waited for a long time in the frosty morning air but eventually it pulled up and we took our seats; grateful for the heating and eager to see the city. We soon moved to the open top floor of the bus. In the open freezing breeze the bus swerved around the congested narrow city lanes. We drove past all the major sights. I'm not sure if up until that point I'd ever been that cold; but it's hard to care when you're glancing up at the Tower Bridge. After a lengthy and astonishing journey we hopped off at Buckingham Palace. In my mind it was a boisterous presence of towering grandeur but in reality it was mostly pavement, gates and crowds (maybe my chattering teeth were pulling my vision downwards). The Changing of the Guards was beginning but we were overwhelmed by the cold and generally disinterested in the event so we rushed up Buckingham Palace Road searching for a warm cafe. Eventually we found one and defrosted. Then we got a train from Victoria Station and bravely made our way back to the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street. I bought a pair of boots from Topshop that I fell completely in love with. Then we stopped by Tracey Perkins and I got a striped dress. After a stop at an English pub I spent the night watching Eastenders and Coronation Street. Missing those shows already...








No comments: