Sunday, January 10, 2010

Off with her head.

DAY 5 - London

After some delay, thanks to clueless bus drivers, we got the Big Bus from Marble Arch to the Tower of London. The Tower is completely incredible. It's so historically significant while being architecturally magnificant. Walking up the same cobblestone pathway that Anne Boleyn did to her execution was extremely eerie and really struck a chord with me. As we stood at the spot of the execution stage I couldn't get her off my mind. I just felt a rush of sympathy for her that couldn't be ignored. We went into the chapel where she, and others, were buried. It was indescribable. Then to the crown jewels. Oh how I would've loved to rob that joint. I'd never seen anything so opulent. There's something so teasing and cruel about putting the biggest diamond in the world right there with only a glass case between you and it. So painful. Then we went all around the other towers in the fortress and the day faded away within the cold stoned grounds. That night we drank tea, ate blackberries and watched Eastenders. What of it?!







No comments: