Friday, January 8, 2010

Seoul will Steal Your Soul.

DAY 1 - Korea

Humans were not put on this earth to suffer ten hour flights. No amount of Elle Magazine, 500 Days of Summer or Korean pop can keep me amused for that long. To sum it up; by the time we were flying over a Korean river I was convinced the boats were monstrous swans. Swanzillas. I was so casually convinced of this that I came close to remarking aloud about it.

One word to describe this place is bizarre. But one word doesn't cut it... it's a neon-lit, corporate mannered ball of fascination. What I've seen has left me both fascinated and completely weirded out. Boys are portrayed as having this edgy femininity about them, unlike the beer glugging boys at home that aim only to be masculine. Korean boys smile brightly dressed in neon pink in phone ads. On the music channel a Korean indie band play; the male lead singer strutting around with his carefully tossled glistening black hair. There's something undeniably female about the way he chooses to pull the audience; sauntering and strutting around. It's captivating.

Outside its bitterly freezing. Delicate burnt orange autumn leaves litter the ground. On a walk we came across a statue of Confuscious and, more interesting in my opinion, an avary of geese and bunnies. People are far from friendly but the culture is intriguing.





No comments: